Sunday, May 15, 2016

Sundays are for Hygge















In honor of Sunday, let's talk about hygge...

I visited an old friend in Copenhagen this winter and she 
taught me about the Danish concept of "hygge". There is no
direct translation to English, but it roughly means "coziness".
The Telegraph describes it as “the absence of anything annoying 
or emotionally overwhelming; taking pleasure from the presence 
of gentle, soothing things...Candlelight is hygge. Bakeries are
hygge. Dinner with friends is hygge". My friend, Fanny,
said it can be used as a verb as in "Let's hygge tonight!" 
and that doctors even "prescribe" tea and hygge.

I've been practicing hygge since long before I knew there was 
a word for it. The first thing I do when I get home from work 
(after this, of course, because I'm a human woman) is turn off all
the overhead lights, light 10 million candles, turn on my speakers
to Spotify acoustic, and pour myself some tea or wine (okay, it's
always wine). In fact, if you didn't know me and you came to my
apartment you would definitely think I was trying
to put the moves on you. But I'm not. I'm hygge-ing!

How to hygge:



Juniper Ridge White Sage Smudge Sticks

...and here is a sage smudging ritual to cleanse your space 
(and your aura - consider this me coming out of the closet as
 a reiki-loving weirdo).





Aurora Copper String Lights at Anthropologie



Natural Calm Magnesium Drink - I swear by this stuff
and have a cup with hot water every night during Jimmy Fallon :)



Aromatherapy Diffuser 
I like ylang ylang, eucalyptus, and lavender.



Eres cashmere PJs



Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...